Child dedication is a public covenant of parents to raise their child in a Christ-honoring home and a reciprocal commitment of the church community to support this family. It is also a wonderful way for our church to meet your family, so we can be present in supporting one another!
How much does it cost?
How do I sign up and prepare for the child dedication?
- Sign up here
- Attend Child Dedication Class – This one-hour overview class is offered once or twice before an upcoming child dedication
What happens at the dedication?
The five minute ceremony is held during the weekend worship service, offered three times a year (January, Mother’s Day, fall).
- An introduction is made of each family via video.
- The family stands before the congregation with their child
- The parent responds to the question: “Do you hereby promise, to the best of your ability and with God’s help, to raise (your child) in a home where Scriptural principles are lived and taught so that they will someday want to trust Jesus as their Lord and Savior?”
- The congregation also responds to the question, “Do you promise to support this family in their God-given responsibilities to their child?”
- The pastor offers a prayer for the child and parents.
- Grandparents or support people can stand with the family in the tradition of “God-parents.”
How many people can I invite?
As many as you like!
What do I need to do between now and the day of the dedication?
Invite your friends and family!
Is this an infant baptism?
No. We believe that a child must be old enough to understand what it means to put their faith in Jesus before they can be baptized. This is an opportunity for you as parents/grandparents to publicly declare that you want to raise your child to develop their own relationship with Jesus.
On the day of the dedication…
What time should we arrive?
Please arrive 15 minutes before the service, sitting in the front two rows.
What should we wear?
Whatever you and your little one will feel most comfortable in. Some people dress casually in jeans, while others wear more formal attire.
I can barely get my child to sit still long enough to get them dressed. How will they survive the entire service?
Your child will make noise during the service. But that’s okay, because so will everyone else’s! The dedication portion of the service is right at the beginning. You can feel free to exit the auditorium after the dedication and check your children into the children’s ministry.
Will there be a photographer?
We will have a photographer set up to take pictures during the dedication.
Child Dedication Celebration Party
We throw a party for the families who are dedicating their child at church that weekend on Sunday, 9:45-10:45. Check your kids in, and then join us in celebrating together in the Coffeehouse (and drinking made-to-order hot drinks and eating treats). Your family is welcome too.