Helping young children know Jesus as Lord by providing a safe and welcoming environment for children ages 0 through 3 years old
A safe environmentFor you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8) Bloomingdale Church does everything possible to prioritize the safety of the children in its care, while making its processes and systems as efficient as possible.
- Nursery workers have been approved as NextGen volunteers (annual application) and are trained.
- Children are securely checked in and out.
- We keep the environments clean with age-appropriate materials.
A welcoming environmentJesus called the (children) to Him, saying, “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.” (Luke 18:15-17) The nursery is welcoming by being a Jesus-centered, caring, and fun learning environment: Caring Children have an intrinsic value because they were created by God. We can show them their value by speaking gently and kindly, reading Bible stories and books about their Creator, singing songs, responding patiently, and praying for them. We communicate what is happening in the nursery to parents, helping them feel comfortable as they are away from their children. We greet each parent as they check-in their child. Fun Learning We stock the nursery with age-appropriate materials in a clean and organized environment. Workers share the love of Jesus with babies as they rock them, feed them, sing to them, play with them, read to them, use bubble machine, or change their diapers. Workers show how special each child is to God saying things like:
- “God made you. God made everything.”
- “God is so good…to give us toys to play with…to give us friends to love.”
- “Jesus is our friend.” “Jesus loves you.”
Nursery GuidelinesThe nursery welcomes children ages 0 to 3 with age-specific activities led by trained workers.
0-3 Years OldThe nursery is for children ages 0 to 3.
- Parents of three year olds may choose for their child to attend the Nursery or the early education Children’s Church class in the West Room (right of the Nursery) and/or Sunday School (Sundays only).
- Children (including volunteer’s children) over the age of three are not allowed.
Checking-InFor your child’s safety, we require an adult to check their children in at the KidsQuest desk or Nursery counter:
- Share contact info with check-in host or scan keycard/type in phone number.
- Confirm mobile contact info so we can text you if your child needs you.
- Complete Parental Preferences form (diapering/bathroom, napping, snacking, crying).
- Returning parents may “pull out” an Ongoing – Parental Preference form (kept in small binder).
- Place printed name tag on child. Parents take matching security code (to be used at check-out).
- Nursing moms may use the Infant Room in the Nursery.
- Parents may use the Parent-Infant Room (at the rear of the Sanctuary) or Children’s Theater Room (alternate service viewing area).
- Wednesday only: If a child needs parental consolement, the Puggles Director may make a judgement call to allow the (female) parent to enter. They must wear a “visitor” name tag.
Child Entering Nursery
- Nursery host/worker will greet you and your child.
- Nursery host/worker will collect Parental Preferences form and child’s personal items.
- Nursery host/worker will attach matching bin number tag to clipboard, if bin is used.
- Nursery host/worker will bring your child into the nursery:
- Infant-Crawler Room – Not walking unassisted, typically under 12 months old
- Toddler Room – Interested in active play, typically over 12 months old
Approved Items In Nursery
- Your child’s name should be on all of their belongings.
- Bottles: if a child is in the nursery for more than an hour, parents/guardians are responsible for replacing formula/milk/breast milk bottles for their child’s safety.
- Approved snack items for their child:
- Breast milk or formula in a bottle; Sippy cup with water or juice
- Puffs, yogurt “melts”
- Animal, graham, or fish crackers; pretzels
- Raisins or craisins; fruit/veggie pouches
- Appropriate allergen-free alternatives to these items
- The nursery is a peanut-free environment.
Contacting Parents/GuardiansParents are contacted if:
- Child needs diapering assistance (if permission not given), or had an accident.
- Child is inconsolable for more than 15 minutes, or time stated on Parental Preference form.
- Child injured (to inform what happened.)
Checking-OutFor your child’s safety, an adult with the matching security label must pick up child(ren) in their classroom, as follows:
- Nursery worker collects matching security label from adult (or sign their name).
- Child exits with adult.
- Adult’s name must appear as parent or emergency contact and show photo ID.
- Adult prints name on check-out report.
- Child exits with adult.
A Healthy NurseryHelp us keep the nursery healthy by keeping your child with you if he or she:
- Is ill with a cold
- Has had colored nasal drainage
- Has had a fever (temperature of 100.4 or higher) within the previous 24 hours
- Has vomited within the previous 24 hours